Unit 5: Direct and Inverse Variation
Approximately 10 days
By the end of this unit you should be able to say I CAN…
5.1 Define the constant k of a direct variation.
5.2 Write the equation of a direct variation given an ordered pair, chart, graph, mapping, set of data, or the constant k. (5.1&5.2 - 2 days)
5.3 Define the constant k of an inverse variation.
5.4 Write the equation of an inverse variation given an ordered pair, chart, graph, mapping, set of data, or the constant k. (5.3&5.4 - 2 days)
5.5 Determine if a chart, graph, mapping, set of data, or equation represents a direct or inverse variation. ( 1 day)
5.6 Use direct and inverse variation to model real world applications and solve word problems. (3 days)
Review and Exam (2 days)
Embedded within all modules are the following learning targets
- Recognize units given or needed to solve problem
- Determine if the solution to a multi-step problem is reasonable using given units
- Choose appropriate units to represent a problem when using formulas or graphing.
- Interpret units or scales used in formulas or represented in graphs.
- Use units as a way to understand problems and to guide the solution of multi-step problems.